Thursday, November 15, 2007

Today

Woke up to a our son Elisha climbing into bed next to me, when I went to scoot over to make room for him, my wife, Carlye, told me to be careful and when I looked over there was another even littler boy, Moses, laying next to her. Our bed gets awfully full these days. Still its hard to be grumpy about it when you wake up to two little boys laughing and giggling at each other. Even if the sun hasn't come out yet.
Last night was the first UNC basketball game of the season, much to my wife's chagrin. I was trying to reason with her in the car last night, explaining how the college basketball season is relatively short. She counted out the months from November to March and said that was as long as Moses has been alive. Not to be outdone by sound logic I pointed out that at least I didn't follow baseball, I mean that game goes on for nine or ten months of the year. I don't know if she was convinced, but what can you do. It's not like you choose to be a sports fan, it seems to choose you and you just hold on for the ride. UNC managed to eek out a win against Davidson. It was rough going and my nerves were shot by the end. I was left wondering if my wife was saner than she lets on.
I found this Tuesday night in my anticipation of Wednesday's game. The music is a bit silly, but the video more than makes up for it. I mean, how could I not be obsessed when I grew up watching players like Vince Carter?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, most truly sane people much prefer yo watch a soccer game over a basketball game. yes i know that's close to heresy around here but the truth must be told. but that doesn't mean i'm not learning to appreciate the draw of watching a 'good game' with the love of my life.

Anonymous said...

What can I say; it's a disease. I first contracted this slow virus in 1971 when I transferred to UNC from some university in Chicago. I had probably only seen 5 BB games in my life up to that point. But I found myself in a suite of 12 guys in Old West (3 to a huge old room back then), and when Heels' games were on, everything stopped as we watched the fuzzy picture on someone's TV (no cable in dorm rooms back then). And soon---I was infected. Couldn't imagine not watching a game---thanks Raycom Sports. And that, Steve, is where it comes from. The slow virus just gets passed on to progeny.

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

See, I think it's just because Carlye went to that other school. Vander..something. If she had lived for four years in the light blue innoculation she would be as insane as the rest of us. Poor thing...

What's interesting is that Jason is as now into UNC b'ball as I am. He even made the profane statement that he was more excited about the first game than I was! For shame.